+ Anne Ma 🇨🇦
Honourable Mention of the Re-Draw.05: Nakagin Capsule Tower
1) Could you briefly introduce yourself?
Anne is an Architect and illustrator based in Toronto and a graduate of the Masters of Architecture program at Yale University. She is currently working at Hariri Pontarini Architects and is a Sessional Lecturer at Daniels, teaching first and second year undergraduate studios.
2) What inspired you for the Re-Draw.05?
Our design for Re-Draw.05 was inspired by the whimsical and memorable aesthetic of OMA’s Parc de la Vileltte competition entry. We felt it embodied the significance of our concept most effectively and our own personal appreciation for whimsy in drawing.
3) Can you describe any particular challenges you faced during the design process and how
you overcame them?
The idea of ‘A New Hope’ developed over many sessions of thoughtful discussion and plenty of not-so-great ideas. The challenge was finding an appropriate form of representation to tell the tale of Nakagin capsules spread across the world’s biomes. There was also the added challenge of never having tried an aesthetic like this before which required many iterations of sketches and experiments to get the final look.
4) How do you think your educational background or professional experiences influenced your winning design?
My education gave me the foundations for both having perspective and also the tools to create. My professional experience has encouraged me to approach everything with a growth mindset and a dash of fun. I think trying something I have never done before, keeping the whole process fun, and finally developing a story that can be communicated through drawing were all influenced by the lessons I’ve learned both through academia and professional work.
5) What advice would you give to students or young professionals looking to excel in architecture competitions?
I think it’s always important to try new things. Competitions are an opportunity to experiment and have a ‘nothing to lose’ approach.
6) What are your future aspirations in the field of architecture?
I want to keep making and creating drawings, places and spaces for people! I would be excited by any opportunity to work on another performing arts theatre.